Most Active Stories
- Citing Cost, City of Atlanta Says MARTA Won’t Operate Streetcar
- Nelson Mandela Dies at 95: A Look Back at His 1990 Atlanta Visit
- Some Georgia Inmates Serving Life Sentences Without Parole To Be Re-Sentenced
- Atlanta Eyes Federal Funds For Streetcar Expansion
- Head of Emory's Winship Cancer Institute: Sequestration Taking Toll
Local Program Hosts
Mon April 29, 2013
4th Entertainment Studio Announces Atlanta Plans
Pinewood Studios, best known for the James Bond films, announced plans today to build a studio in metro Atlanta.
It is the fourth recent announcement of its kind here.
Pinewood plans at least five sound stages on 288 acres in Fayette County. That follows new studio projects announced for Gwinnett and Newton Counties and Tyler Perry’s expansion plans in south Fulton County.
Lee Thomas heads the state Film, Music, & Digital Entertainment Office. She says there are 34 productions shooting in Georgia right now. It’s a chore every time, you know, when they come in, we’ve just kind of run out of space to put ‘em in,” says Thomas. “And I do think we’ll be getting new projects because of these facilities.”
Thomas says the allure is the 30% tax credit the state offers productions but also a strong trained local crew base, the variety of landscapes, easy transportation in and out of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, and plenty of hotel rooms and restaurants for out-of-town crews.