Most Active Stories
- Conservatives Call for Boycott of Companies That Opposed SB 377
- Senate Passes Bill Aimed at Separating Georgia from Common Core
- Common Core Bill Could Cause Data Problems for Schools
- Marijuana, Medicaid & Food Stamp Drug Testing Make Crossover Deadline
- Senate Passes Bill Banning Abortion Coverage from Some Insurance Policies
Local Program Hosts
Wed December 4, 2013
Atlanta School Board Chair Loses Runoff
The board overseeing the Atlanta Public School system will have a new chair next year.
That’s because current chairman Reuben McDaniel lost his runoff election Tuesday night to challenger Cynthia Briscoe Brown in the race for District 8 school board seat.
With all precincts reporting Brown received 65 percent of the vote. McDaniel received 34 percent of the vote. Brown was one of four candidates to win Atlanta school board runoff elections Tuesday. All four will be new to the Atlanta school board next year.
Jason Esteves beat Lori James in a runoff for the District 9 school board seat. Esteves captured 71 percent of the vote.
Another new board member will be Steven Lee. After receiving 59 percent of the vote last night, he’ll represent District 5.
District 6’s new board member will be Eshe Collins. With 59 percent of the vote, she beat Dell Byrd.
When the new Atlanta School Board begins next year, it will elect a new chair and hire a new Superintendent.
One note of disclosure: WABE’s broadcast license is held by the Atlanta Board of Education.