Most Active Stories
- Citing Cost, City of Atlanta Says MARTA Won’t Operate Streetcar
- Nelson Mandela Dies at 95: A Look Back at His 1990 Atlanta Visit
- Some Georgia Inmates Serving Life Sentences Without Parole To Be Re-Sentenced
- Atlanta Eyes Federal Funds For Streetcar Expansion
- Head of Emory's Winship Cancer Institute: Sequestration Taking Toll
Local Program Hosts
Fri November 23, 2012
To Budget or Not To Budget on Black Friday
With Black Friday well underway, how much do you plan on spending this holiday shopping season? Some of us don’t budget on purpose while others plan to avoid the past.
When Anthony Fernanders is buying for himself, there’s no budget involved.
“I get up every morning to go to work,” said Fernanders. “So, I’m going to get I want.”
He walked out of Best Buy in Atlanta’s Buckhead neighborhood with a Playstation 3 bundle. That means the console and a game for at least $300. Bill Thompkins starts out frugal.
“Every year, I say I’m going to start out with a budget,” said Thompkins. “But, I end up just getting what people need to make them happy.”
He and his wife have bought a 50 inch TV, a stand, some cables and the new Nintendo Wii U gaming console. He usually spends at least $3,000 on family holiday gifts. Melissa Neubauer and her husband had a $1000 family gift budget last year.
“We overspent,” said Neubauer.
So, they saved throughout the year with hopes of staying under $1000 for family this time around.