Most Active Stories
- Conservatives Call for Boycott of Companies That Opposed SB 377
- Common Core Bill Could Cause Data Problems for Schools
- Marijuana, Medicaid & Food Stamp Drug Testing Make Crossover Deadline
- Senate Passes Bill Banning Abortion Coverage from Some Insurance Policies
- Tension Rising in DeKalb Cityhood Debate
Local Program Hosts
"The 5:44" with Denis O'Hayer
Thu January 3, 2013
Debate Over New Georgia Cities Returns to the Legislature
Recently, metro Atlanta has seen an explosion of new cities, and advocates in other areas are trying to start cityhood drives in their neighborhoods.
But one Georgia lawmaker says the process is too careless, failing to take into account the effect new cities have on their counties, and on surrounding cities.
Democratic Decatur Representative Mary Margaret Oliver has proposed a bill, placing new hurdles in front of supporters of future new cities.
WABE's Denis O'Hayer spoke with Rep. Oliver, and with J. Max Davis, mayor of Georgia's newest city, Brookhaven.
"One on One" with Steve Goss