Most Active Stories
- Don't Stuff The Turkey And Other Tips From 'America's Test Kitchen'
- Ria's Bluebird Re-Opens to Honor Pell
- Nelson Mandela Dies at 95: A Look Back at His 1990 Atlanta Visit
- With Stadium Deal Official, Atlanta Begins Planning for Braves Departure
- Cobb Commissioners Hold Town Hall Meetings on Braves Stadium
Local Program Hosts
Thu February 7, 2013
DeKalb School District Set to Part Ways With Atkinson
“The board will meet tomorrow for a called meeting and at that they will vote on the approval of a separation agreement with Dr. Cheryl Atkinson and then vote on the approval of an employment agreement with an interim superintendent,” Govus says.
Govus said the separation agreement is a negotiated contract and does not mean that Dr. Atkinson has resigned. The board has met in executive session for almost two weeks. Speculation about Atkinson’s impending departure began late last week.
Govus declined to say whether the board has chosen an interim yet. However, former Georgia labor commissioner Michael Thurmond confirmed Monday he’d met with the DeKalb school board to offer his help. Thurmond also indicated he’d consider serving as interim superintendent if the board asked him to do so.