Most Active Stories
- Conservatives Call for Boycott of Companies That Opposed SB 377
- Senate Passes Bill Aimed at Separating Georgia from Common Core
- Common Core Bill Could Cause Data Problems for Schools
- Marijuana, Medicaid & Food Stamp Drug Testing Make Crossover Deadline
- Senate Passes Bill Banning Abortion Coverage from Some Insurance Policies
Local Program Hosts
Fri January 25, 2013
Guns "Not Accounted For" at Fulton Sheriff's Office
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Fulton County Sheriff’s Department are both being tight-lipped about an investigation into possible mishandling of weapons at the Sheriff’s Office.
The Sheriff’s Department released a statement saying, in part, “The Fulton County Sheriff’s Office became aware of alleged mishandling of weapons designated for lawful destruction….” “The Sheriff’s Office referred the case to an outside agency for an external investigation.”
That outside agency is the GBI. It says it was initially called in to investigate something else: what happened to credit the department was supposed to get for brass shells turned back in after firearms qualifying.
According to GBI spokesperson Sherry Lange, “We were asked to determine what happened with that credit. And during the investigation, we were also asked to look into a small amount of guns that were not accounted for at the Fulton county sheriff’s office. “
Neither Lang nor the Sheriff’s Department will say how many guns that small amount might be. And neither agency will make further comment, saying only that the investigation is ongoing.