Most Active Stories
- Discovering 'The Hidden South': A Conversation With Photojournalist Brent Walker
- MARTA To Lose Millions Due To 'Birthday Tax' Change
- A Talk With The Vermont Artist Who Won A Trademark Fight With Chick-fil-A
- Cobb County Woman Jailed For Cursing At Cops Wins $100K Settlement Against County
- 25 new hours of new local programming
Local Program Hosts
Wed May 21, 2014
Hank Johnson Wins Re-Election to Congress
Georgia Fourth District Congressman Hank Johnson will return to Washington for a fifth term.
It was close to midnight when Johnson declared victory, telling a crowd that had dwindled down to about 75 supporters, “We won! We fought a real good, clean campaign.”
Johnson, joined on stage by Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed, waited late in the evening to speak to his supporters, because they were still waiting for election results. Returns from Gwinnett, Rockdale, and Newton Counties came in relatively early. However, results from both candidates’ home base, DeKalb County, came in slowly through the evening.
Last night’s victory over former DeKalb County Sheriff Tom Brown is Johnson’s last contest for the year. He has no opposition in the November election.