Most Active Stories
- Girls Are Loud, Dirty, Messy In Atlanta Photographer’s Series
- Cracking The Code On Atlanta's Film Signs
- Atlanta's New Recycling Center Goes Beyond Bottles And Cans
- Sandy Springs Housing Too Expensive For Mercedes-Benz Workers
- Half Of Atlanta's Newly Diagnosed HIV Patients Have AIDS, Grady Testing Finds
Tue December 24, 2013
Holiday Display Brings First Responders
A Gwinnett County homeowner's annual holiday display got a reaction he never expected.
Slim, as he is known, has been hanging around Bubba Murphy's house in Berkeley Lake for several Christmases now...literally.
The sweatshirt and blue jean-wearing dummy is holding onto the gutters with a string of lights dangling next to him and a ladder that appears to be falling to the ground at that very moment.
Murphy says, "We got the mailman; we've gotten neighbors, people just walking by [and then] running up to help. And then they see what it is, and then they start laughing."
But one night this week, a stranger drove through the neighborhood.
We'd just finished up dinner," says Murphy. "And I walked through the family room and just looked out in our front yard, and I said, 'Where are all these red lights coming from?' I opened the door. There was a fire truck, an ambulance, a police car, and a fire marshal's car and a yard full of firemen. Then we heard the lady just apologizing so badly. She felt bad for calling everyone out."
Murphy says he took the display down for a few days, but now Slim is back by popular demand.