Most Active Stories
- Mixed Use Development Planned at Avondale MARTA Station
- Controversy Over Pay Raises Puts Greater Focus On Atlanta Watershed Operations
- StoryCorps: Nicholas Church and Reese McCranie
- Messages for Georgia Republicans--and Democrats--in New Insider Advantage GOP Primary Poll
- Deal Concerned About Lack Of Transparency In Private Probation Bill
Local Program Hosts
Wed November 6, 2013
McDaniel, Brown Headed for School Board Runoff
According to election returns, it looks like Atlanta school board chair Reuben McDaniel will face Cynthia Briscoe Brown in a runoff. McDaniel faced four challengers in the race for the District 8 At Large seat.
McDaniel said with such a crowded field, he didn’t expect to win the race outright.
"I certainly thought going into this we'd be in a runoff," McDaniel said. "I'm a little surprised that Cynthia Brown is the opponent in the runoff, given the difference in money spent by the other opponents."
School board elections typically yield low voter turnout. For a runoff, it’s likely to be especially low. And a runoff means campaigning will continue. McDaniel said he’s already thinking about how he’ll do that.
"I think it's just creating some town hall forums, places where we can have voters really talk about what their issues are and understand what it is we're trying to bring to the table in the next four years and connect with those voters." he said.
The runoff will take place December 3.
WABE’s broadcast license is held by the Atlanta board of education.