Most Active Stories
- Citing Cost, City of Atlanta Says MARTA Won’t Operate Streetcar
- Nelson Mandela Dies at 95: A Look Back at His 1990 Atlanta Visit
- Some Georgia Inmates Serving Life Sentences Without Parole To Be Re-Sentenced
- Atlanta Eyes Federal Funds For Streetcar Expansion
- Head of Emory's Winship Cancer Institute: Sequestration Taking Toll
Local Program Hosts
Mon May 20, 2013
One Reporter's BeltLine Revelation
Atlanta is seen around the country as an innovator in the practice of reclaiming and repurposing abandoned land known as “brownfields.” The site of the former steel mill which is now home to Atlantic Station is one well-known example. Another is Atlanta’s BeltLine project.
WABE’s Jim Burress has been covering the BeltLine for over 5 years now, and recently had an experience in one of the developing pedestrian corridor’s parks which illustrated to him how much progress has been made in reclaiming the 22-mile loop of abandoned rail lines.