Most Active Stories
- Discovering 'The Hidden South': A Conversation With Photojournalist Brent Walker
- MARTA To Lose Millions Due To 'Birthday Tax' Change
- A Talk With The Vermont Artist Who Won A Trademark Fight With Chick-fil-A
- Cobb County Woman Jailed For Cursing At Cops Wins $100K Settlement Against County
- Battle Brewing Over State's Beer Laws
Local Program Hosts
Tue October 1, 2013
StoryCorps: Maru Gonzalez & Anneliese Singh
When Maru Gonzalez first started her work as a school counselor, she had little experience with the LGBTQ community.
However, when she found out how some of the gay-identified students in her school were treated, she felt compelled to do something.
She began volunteering at Atlanta’s YouthPride, a center that provides a safe environment for LGBTQ youth. Maru spoke with her friend Anneliese Singh about an interesting moment early on in her volunteer work.
This story was recorded in partnership with Georgia Safe Schools Coalition and the Atlanta History Center, the host of Atlanta’s StoryCorps booth.
Celebrate National Welcoming Week with StoryCorps