Most Active Stories
- Girls Are Loud, Dirty, Messy In Atlanta Photographer’s Series
- Atlanta's New Recycling Center Goes Beyond Bottles And Cans
- Cracking The Code On Atlanta's Film Signs
- Sandy Springs Housing Too Expensive For Mercedes-Benz Workers
- Half Of Atlanta's Newly Diagnosed HIV Patients Have AIDS, Grady Testing Finds
Sun August 10, 2014
Tech, UGA Welcome Bright(est) Freshman Classes
(Note: Story updated with broader figures for Ga Tech's freshman admission rate, corrects UGA admission rate.)
Students entering Georgia’s two flagship public universities are among the best performers ever admitted.
Officials with The University of Georgia say this year’s incoming freshman class has the highest average GPA in the school’s history: 3.9 on a 4.0 scale.
SAT scores are also the highest in UGA history, with an average 1913 out of a possible 2400. That’s a 16 point increase over last year’s entering class.
Ninety-five percent of students were enrolled either in Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate classes.
Of 21,000 applications received 5,200 students enrolled.
… it’s a similar story at Georgia Tech.
The Institute says students accepted during early admissions shared an average 4.0 GPA, also had the highest SAT scores in the school’s history.
On average, freshman have taken nine college-level courses upon graduating from high school.
About half of those who applied to Tech were admitted this year.
Beyond early admissions, Tech's overall acceptance rate is closer to one in three.
Atlanta Public Schools