Most Active Stories
- Mixed Use Development Planned at Avondale MARTA Station
- Controversy Over Pay Raises Puts Greater Focus On Atlanta Watershed Operations
- StoryCorps: Nicholas Church and Reese McCranie
- Deal Concerned About Lack Of Transparency In Private Probation Bill
- Messages for Georgia Republicans--and Democrats--in New Insider Advantage GOP Primary Poll
Local Program Hosts
Thu July 25, 2013
Three Page-Turners...from Matt Hutchinson
If you’ve ever watched Adult Swim, the comedy-for-grown-ups day-part of Cartoon Network, you might have noticed a familiar voice on one of their station IDs.
WABE’s Lois Reitzes did a series of tongue-in-cheek spots written by senior writer and producer at Atlanta-based Adult Swim, Matt Hutchinson. (You can see some here and here. Warning: They’re addictive.)
Matt’s worked with comedy stars from John C. Reilly to Patton Oswalt, but as an Atlanta resident, he’s a big fan of Lois. And, he says, he had a hunch that beyond her warm voice and vast knowledge of classical music, there lay a zany sense of humor.
He was right, of course.
On this segment of WABE Page-Turners, Lois and Matt met up a second time, to discuss three of Matt’s favorite books. Their discussion ranged from the wilds of Antarctica at the turn of the 20th century, to what makes the best comedic writing. The surprising answer: tragedy.
WEB BONUS: Here's a longer version of Lois Reitzes's conversation with Adult Swim's Matt Hutchinson.
Matt Hutchinson's Picks
- The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garard
- Our Story Begins: New and Selected Stories by Tobias Wolfe
- The Mysterious Secret of the Valuable Treasure by Jack Pendarvis
Is there a notable Atlantan you’d like to hear on Page-Turners? To let us know, just go here, and click on “drop us a line.” Thanks!
Atlanta Sounds: Alice Walker